Breakfast is definitely my favorite meal of the day. There’s just something so magical about the first bite you take after a good night’s rest (or after pulling an all-nighter) that really sets the tone for the rest of your day. Some days I keep it simple and have some cereal and milk, other days I enjoy some poached eggs with delightfully warm hollandaise sauce melting across the top, and then there are days that I feel really adventurous and I put together an egg sandwich.
I think there are three components to the perfect egg sandwich: great bread, quality cheese, and well-prepared eggs. If you’re missing any of these three the sandwich will be missing its potential. I’ve eaten an extraordinary amount of breakfast sandwiches in my day and I enjoy everything from the classic to the exotic. When making my own, I love to experiment with different bread/cheese/preparation techniques and in this instance I found a true winner.
- 4 pieces of sourdough
- 2 eggs
- 2 strips of bacon
- 1 pinch of freshly minced rosemary
- 1 pinch of thyme
- sliced smoked cheddar cheese
- Put your bread in the toaster. If you have a toaster oven that’s even better. You want it to be a light golden brown before you add the cheese.
- For this sandwich, I poached my eggs. I use the whirlpool technique but feel free to do whatever makes you comfortable. If you’ve never poached an egg check out youtube for more tutorials than you’ve ever dreamed of.
- While your eggs are poaching make your bacon. If you’re making lots of sandwiches you can put your bacon in the oven. If you’re just cooking for yourself I suggest microwaving it.
- When everything is toasted/poached/baconed put your sandwich together. I like my cheese on each side of the bread followed by the fresh herbs then the bacon and finally the egg in the middle. I used a mini-loaf of bread so I only needed one egg per sandwich.