One of my favorite pass-times is finding odd ingredients and using them in a traditional way. Maybe that’s kind of a boring use for these ingredients but nothing is better than spicing up a tried and true recipe with something new. It keeps my taste buds on edge! This dish came from a lack of my regular ingredients and the desire to use something new in my kitchen. I’ve been eating it all week and I can’t wait to make more!!
Blueberry, Maple Sausage & Mushroom Breakfast
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 maple, blueberry pork sausage patty (I found mine at Whole Foods)
- 1 egg
- 5 baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup of jalapeno cheese curds (Arizona Cheese Co.)
make some magic:
1) Start by breaking up your sausage patty with your hands. Throw the pieces into a saute pan set to medium-high heat until slightly browned.
2) Next, throw your sliced mushrooms in and stir so everything is coated evenly with the olive oil. Brown your mushrooms
3) While your mushrooms are browning, fry or poach your egg. I’ve made it both ways and can’t endorse one method over the other. If you don’t like a runny yolk I’m sure this would be equally delicious with scrambled egg in it. Pick your poison!
4) Throw it all together in a bowl and add your cheese curds. Break up the yolk and rejoice over your delicious breakfast.
I will admit. At first I was hesitant to mix the sweetness of the sausage with the spicy kick from the jalapeno cheese curds but it was INCREDIBLE. The play of the blueberry against that bite from the peppers was unreal. I’m having dreams about where else I can use this combination.