I started this year on an extremely cheesy note. No, seriously I ate copious amounts of cheese and it was amazing. This is a soup I’ve made once before but this time I tweaked it and took it to a whole other level of amazing. Trust me, you want to make this soup. The fact that it utilizes three of my favorite things is just the icing on the cake! Or should I say the bacon on the beer!? This is the ultimate comfort soup.
Cheddar, Bacon & Beer Soup
recipe adapted from Delish
what you’ll need:
- 1 pound of bacon, diced and fried
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 bottle (12-oz) of Rogue’s Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana, & Peanut Butter Ale
- 2 1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups(ish) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
How to do it:
- Fry your bacon and reserve 3 tablespoons of the grease.
- Add your celery, onion, jalapeno, garlic, and thyme to the grease and saute for about 8 minutes (or until soft).
- Add 8 oz. of the beer to the vegetable mixture and allow it to reduce by about half. Then add the chicken broth and bring it to a simmer.
- While your soup base simmers, mix up a roux. Melt your butter in a small saucepan and whisk in your flour until it is slightly browned. Mix the roux into your veggie mixture.
- Once the soup is thickened, pour in the heavy cream and begin adding your cheese one cup at a time. Taste test your soup often and stop when it’s cheesy enough for you! This varies depending on each person so testing as you go is KEY. I used around 4 cups for this batch but go with your gut.
- Add salt and pepper to taste then serve it up over your favorite kind of pasta. I use oversized noodles from a local gourmet grocery. Get creative! It goes really well over rice as well.