It’s been a few months since I started tackling my list of 101 goals. I’m still working on rounding out that list but I’m making progress on goals that have already been set. One of my goals was to eat at 50 new restaurants and for a girl who loves to eat, this actually wasn’t as much of a challenge as I thought it would be. Part of me feels like I should set that goal to a loftier number but I’ll leave it where it is and adjust in a future list of goals. I thought it would be fun to recap my favorites from the first 25 and, if you live in Phoenix, recommend that you run (don’t walk) to try them out.
- My favorite new restaurant of the year has got to be Clever Koi. I’ve been twice in the past few weeks and I have a feeling I’ll be back pretty frequently. The menu is full of extremely well-executed Asian cuisine and I cannot get enough of it. My favorite dishes so far are the Steak “Cobb” Bibimbap and the Pork Ramen.
- Stealing the number two spot is Southport Grocery and Cafe in Chicago. I finally had the chance to visit this sweet spot when I was in Chicago for Memorial Day weekend earlier this year. I ordered their Southport Cuban and I’m confident that the meat on that sandwich is among the best-prepared I’ve ever had in my life.
- Coming in at three we’ve got Richardsons. My dad hails from New Mexico so I grew up on green chili-centric comfort food. Richardson’s and The Rokerij serve up New Mexican classics that give my childhood favorites a run for their money. You really can’t go wrong here but one of my favorite dishes is the Carne Adovada. Bonus if you’re young and broke – the food here comes in giant, amazing portions and could easily last you a few meals as leftovers.
- For a really unique spot, I’m throwing number four out to Nobuo at Teeter House. I’m a little bit weird about eating meat and generally like things to be well done because too much pink makes me squeamish but the coconut curry lamb at Nobuo is REAL pink and REAL good. This is a pretty pricy meal but worth every penny for a special occasion.
- For an excellent cup of coffee and rounding out my list at number five, I’m giving it up for 32 Shea. I got a rosemary honey latte and now I think about it all the time. I love a place that makes their own syrups and if 32 Shea was closer to me, I think I’d live there.
I’m loving trying so many new places and branching out from my normal path. When I knock out the other 25 I’ll recap with the top 5 from the second half of this goal!!